- UK agents "blatantly undercutting one another," Viking River Cruises reported saying
- Costa Luminosa begins sailing 10-night Caribbean cruises from Miami
- P&O Cruises cancel two night Arcadia cruise on delayed refit yard departure
- Celebrity appoints Toby Shaw to new role of director and marketing in UK
- Celebrity Century reported to join Croisieres de France in 2015
Ports & Destinations
- Bacardi Bar opens on Norwegian's private island
- Three British cruise ships to visit Gothenburg's Christmas markets
- Atlantic Alliance ports exceed forecast and welcome 2.5 million passengers 2013
- Le Havre provides Christmas atmosphere
- BVI Ports Authority welcomes AIDAbella's first call to the territory
Alternative flash content
The transformation of the Carnival Destiny into the Carnival Sunshine in a $155 million refit highlights the fact that leading cruise shipping lines are willing to spend large amounts of money to update... Read more...
Editor's note: This interview was made and published in Cruise Business Review 3/2011 issue prior the tragic events of January 13, 2012. By Henrik Segercrantz Safety is a top priority at Star Cruises,... Read more...
Greece is undergoing profound change and reforming large parts of its economy to attract much needed investment and revenue. This includes an extensive maritime sector and the huge tourism industry, of... Read more...
Southwest Boeing 737-700 at Fort Lauderdale, Oasis of the Seas at the background Photo credit: Teijo Niemela Read more...
Viking Skadi of Viking River Cruises Photo credit: Teijo Niemela Read more...
Crown Seaways of DFDS Seaways at Port of Oslo Photo credit: Teijo Niemela Read more...
Norwegian Breakaway and AIDAluna in New York Photo credit: Teijo Niemela Read more...
- Category: Latest News
- Published on Friday, 08 November 2013 09:28
- Written by Kari Reinikainen
The float-out of Mein Schiff 3, an environmentally friendly cruise ship being built for TUI Cruises, was performed at STX Turku Shipyard on Friday 8 November 2013. At the press conference held at STX Finland Oy's Turku Shipyard earlier the same day, Richard J. Vogel, CEO of TUI Cruises and Jari Anttila, Deputy CEO of STX Finland Oy were pleased to speak about the important milestone Mein Schiff 3 project reached on that particular day.
One year ago, the start of production of newbuilding 1383 was celebrated at Turku Shipyard. Mein Schiff 3 is scheduled for delivery in spring 2014. Her sister ship NB 1384, Mein Schiff 4, is currently under production and she will be delivered one year after Mein Schiff 3. The building periods of these two ships are record-breaking tight. New building practises with high block outfitting ratio and modularisation have been utilised more than ever. New innovative and efficient building concepts, such as the outer decks concept, have proved to be successful.
Mein Shiff 3 and her sister ship Mein Shiff 4 are sophisticated and highly innovative 99,000 gross ton cruise ships. Once completed, these cruise ships will be approx. 295 metres long and approx. 36 metres wide. They will both have 1,253 staterooms (2,500 lower beds) and have a crew of 1,000. The cruise ships will have many environmentally friendly features. The combined system for treating exhaust gases minimizes sulphur, nitrogen oxide, fine dust and soot emissions. Compliance with the safe return to port requirement includes also additional passenger comfort features. Particular emphasis has been put on the ship's energy efficiency. Therefore the ship consumes around 30% less energy compared to cruise ships of similar sizes.
Before the ship got water under her keel the very first time, the invited guests had an opportunity to visit at the bottom of the dry dock and see the ship from a rare perspective. The float-out ceremony was witnessed by representatives of TUI Cruises and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, STX Finland and the classification society Det Norske Veritas, as well as invited guests and members of the press.
"We are very pleased to float out this superb cruise ship according to schedule. After this float-out, the work will continue very intensively with final installation of the various systems of the ship and interior outfitting. The ship will be ready for delivery to the customer in spring of 2014," says Jari Anttila, Deputy CEO of STX Finland Oy.
Mein Schiff 3 will be featured in Cruise Business Review 3/2013 and 2/2014 issues.
Photo credit: Jouni Saaristo
NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY DECKS 6, 7, 8
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas