Vancouver expects strong 2025 cruise season

The first cruise ship of the season, the Disney Wonder, will dock at the Canada Place cruise terminal in Vancouver tomorrow, March 5 – kicking off what is expected to be another strong season.

There are 301 cruise ship calls currently scheduled between March 5 and October 21, with more than 1.2 million passengers expected to pass through the cruise terminal in 2025, as Vancouver’s cruise sector stabilizes following several record seasons.

“We are thrilled to see Vancouver’s cruise sector continue to thrive – attracting visitors from across the globe for a once-in-a-lifetime Alaska experience while injecting more than $1 billion into our local economy,” said Captain Shri Madiwal, Vice President of Operations and Supply Chain at the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority. “I want to acknowledge the hard work and dedication of everyone involved in Vancouver cruise – to so successfully service upwards of 300 ship calls and 1 million passenger visits every year is a huge feat and one that supports jobs and businesses across the region.”

Cruise operations at the Port of Vancouver play a vital role supporting tourism and jobs in Vancouver and across Canada, with more than 17,000 jobs sustained nationally and an average of $3 million spent locally by cruise lines, passengers and crew every time a cruise ship calls the Canada Place terminal.

Cruise ship calls and passenger visits are both expected to ease slightly in 2025 compared to last year, after pent-up demand following the COVID-19 pandemic saw Vancouver’s return to cruise achieve back- to-back record seasons in 2023 and 2024.

Demand for cruise services at the Port of Vancouver remains robust and is expected to grow, with 2025 numbers projected to be well above historical averages and several new cruise lines calling the Canada Place terminal in coming years, including Villa Vie Residences in 2025.

"Vancouver is one of the premier gateways to the breathtaking beauty of Alaska and the start of the 2025 cruise season is an exciting milestone," said Bud Darr, President and CEO of Cruise Lines International Association. "Through the collaborative efforts of the cruise industry and our partners in Vancouver, we are enhancing the passenger experience and driving sustainability advancements, strengthening the Pacific Northwest’s position as an exceptional cruise market. We thank the Port of Vancouver and all the local businesses, services and residents that will help deliver a successful Alaska cruise season and welcome travelers from around the world.”

Vancouver’s cruise season typically ramps up in late April and May, with almost daily cruise ship visits to Canada Place expected throughout the summer and into September, and many days with multiple ship calls. Alaska cruise ships deployed to other parts of the world during the winter typically start to reposition themselves throughout March and April.

“We want every passenger embarking or disembarking in Vancouver to have a memorable experience while they’re in our city,” said Royce Chwin, President and CEO at Destination Vancouver. “It’s the incredible collaboration and partnerships that set Vancouver apart when it comes to creating special experiences for visitors that build on our outstanding reputation as a cruise homeport—from Canada Place’s exceptional service to the support provided by so many local businesses and tourism providers.”

Vancouver has been a homeport for Alaska cruises for more than 30 years, acting as the base for one- way and round-trip cruises through the Inside Passage. Being a homeport means Canada Place is where cruise ships restock food and beverage, get repairs, and refuel during the Alaska season.

"As we embark on another exciting cruise season, SSA Marine remains committed to delivering a seamless and exceptional experience for all passengers traveling through the Canada Place cruise terminal," said Elise Ferguson, Vice President of Canada Place Cruise for SSA Marine, which manages day-to-day operations at the Canada Place cruise terminal on the port authority’s behalf. "Through enhanced passenger flow initiatives and continued collaboration with our industry partners, we are proud to continue supporting Vancouver’s position as a world-class cruise destination.”

Antigua Cruise Port unveils site plans for new cruise terminal

The future of cruise tourism in Antigua and Barbuda just got even more exciting, as plans for a new cruise terminal have been unveiled. Antigua Cruise Port (ACP), operated by Global Ports Holding (GPH), the world’s largest cruise port operator, officially commenced construction of a new state-of-the-art cruise terminal at its fifth berth on February 10, 2025.

Mehmet Kutman, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Global Ports Holding, along with senior company executives, joined Governor General Sir Rodney Williams, Prime Minister Hon. Gaston Browne, and Minister of Tourism Hon. Charles Fernandez in turning the sod on-site to commemorate this significant milestone for the cruise tourism sector.

Hon. Prime Minister Gaston Browne reinforced the significance of the relationship between the government and the company. “Now this partnership is what we consider to be a good fit with our economic policy.”

He went on to emphasize, "I can say definitively that this arrangement is working well for us; we have already benefited from a significant improvement in the product offering and at the same time we have got the capital in order to further build out the facilities here at the fifth berth and what we are witnessing today would be the groundbreaking ceremony to build out the landside facilities which will include a number of amenities to ensure that the visitor experience is second to none."

Hon. Charles Fernandez, Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviation, Transportation, & Investment expressed his appreciation stating, “Chairman Kutman and his team from Global Ports Holding deserve our gratitude, for continuing to deliver on the agreement signed in 2020.”

He further remarked, “This magnificent expansion project will put Antigua and Barbuda at the top of the list, in my opinion for best cruise port in the region.”

Kutman remarked: “This landmark project underscores our deep commitment to Antigua and Barbuda, reinforcing our close collaboration with local authorities and key stakeholders. Together, we are shaping a vibrant future for cruise tourism, generating lasting economic opportunities for the community. As the world’s largest cruise port operator, GPH is proud to play a vital role in the long-term growth and success of this incredible destination.”

Gasper George, General Manager at Antigua Cruise Port joined Kutman in celebrating this historic event. “The highly anticipated ‘Upland Development Project’ has been five years in the making and is now set to create hundreds of jobs for the people of Antigua and Barbuda. While many of these jobs will be created during the construction phase, which is scheduled from February 2025 to June 2026, even more rewarding career opportunities will be available once the terminal has been completed.”

It is anticipated that the new cruise terminal, which will sit on approximately four acres, will significantly enhance the guest experience for thousands of homeporting and transit passengers while creating a positive ripple effect across the twin island nation. It will boast a wide array of amenities including food and beverage, retail shops, a bazaar, a park with an ice cream parlour and the highly touted Antigua Day Club, complete with a swimming pool, restaurant, and bar.

“This undertaking represents a massive economic boost for our community with a substantial multi-million-dollar investment being undertaken by GPH,” George continued. “We remain committed to “Unlocking Quay Opportunities” for the people of Antigua and Barbuda”.

Galveston Port moving forward with Master Plan update

The Galveston Wharves Board of Trustees voted on Feb. 6 to invest in the port’s future by funding an updated 20-Year Strategic Master Plan and by continuing to support development of additional cruise infrastructure.

As the nation’s 4th-ranked cruise port, Galveston saw a record 3.4 million passenger movements through its three terminals in 2024. It will open its fourth cruise terminal in November to homeport MSC and Norwegian cruise lines. This year, the port forecasts more than 400 sailings and almost 3.6 million passenger embarkations and debarkations.

The current master plan, adopted by the Wharves Board in 2019, includes plans to double the number of cruise terminals from two to four, to build an internal roadway to accommodate more port traffic, and to expand its cargo complex. These major projects are either completed or in various stages of construction.

“Our updated master plan will look at growth opportunities in all of our business lines – cruise, cargo and commercial,” said Rodger Rees, Galveston Wharves Port Director and CEO. “The board’s unanimous vote to support cruise infrastructure growth reflects the economic benefits that our cruise business provides and allows us to continue to invest in our cargo business.”

Galveston’s cruise industry is a major economic engine for local and regional businesses. In 2023, cruise operations generated 4,547 jobs for Galveston area residents, $733 million in business revenues, $291 million in personal income, and $25 million in state and local taxes.

Master Plan a roadmap for future growth

Rees said, “The updated master plan will evaluate all that we’ve accomplished to date and lay a foundation for continued growth based on new cruise and cargo forecasts and port and community goals.

“The master plan has served us well. It’s been our roadmap for major capital projects to grow our business and maximize port assets while managing potential community impacts.”

Much has changed in the last five years. For example, the cruise business is growing faster than forecast, construction costs continue to rise, and the port received state funding to jump-start cargo expansion.

“A big focus in the master plan update will be how we can continue to efficiently manage traffic on and around Harborside Drive as our cruise, cargo and commercial businesses grow. Our current master plan includes a 2.25-mile-long internal roadway, cueing lanes at cruise terminals and on-site parking garages.”

Rees said that the port wants the updated plan to consider locations for the USS Texas, public areas on the waterfront, and safely connecting the port’s waterfront commercial areas to downtown.

Several items in the current plan will be addressed, including dock and wharf improvements, development potential for port acreage on Pelican Island, drainage improvements, and a public boardwalk, to name a few.

Master plan consultants from Bermello Ajamil and Partners Inc. will evaluate these projects, update cost estimates and identify new opportunities. Consultants also will hold workshops and public meetings to gather input from Wharves Board members, port partners and the community.

Rees said, “Armed with this information, we’ll be prepared to continue to maximize our port assets and remain a strong community asset.”

Photo: Galveston, the only cruise home port in Texas, has three cruise terminals, with a fourth opening in November 2025. The fourth most popular cruise port in the U.S. set a new record of 3.4 million cruise passenger embarkations and debarkations in 2024. Galveston Wharves courtesy photo. By Robert John Mihovil.

 

 

Huna Totem Corporation names Howard Sherman as President

Huna Totem Corporation (HTC), the Alaska Native Corporation with a 50-year history of preserving and supporting culture and community, has appointed former cruise line executive Howard Sherman as president of its tourism group.

In this newly created position, Sherman will oversee HTC’s tourism operations, including Icy Strait Point and other ventures, ensuring the continued delivery of high-quality guest experiences and the group’s business objectives.

Sherman brings extensive experience in the cruise and travel industry, having held executive leadership roles at major cruise brands. Most recently, he was president and CEO of Oceania Cruises, leading the company’s global operations. He also served as executive vice president of onboard revenue and destination services at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, where he oversaw a diverse portfolio including commercial development, government relations, itinerary planning and land-based construction projects. His deep expertise in strategic growth and operational excellence makes him especially well-suited to lead HTC’s tourism initiatives into the future.

“Howard’s contributions as a member of our Tourism Advisory Board have already made a significant impact to the business, so we are very excited to welcome him into this new role where we know he will be a transformative force,” said Russell Dick, HTC president and CEO. “With his deep industry knowledge, strategic approach and genuine appreciation for our company and our mission, he will help us to continue building world-class tourism experiences that create lasting benefits for our shareholders, employees, and the communities we serve.”

Sherman has been a long-time enthusiast of the HTC business.

He said, “I’m thrilled to join Huna Totem. The company is a worldwide leader in delivering authentic travel destinations and experiences which is why I have admired the team and the company for years. It is an honor to be a part of its future growth.”

Sherman holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from St. Thomas University and lives in Miami, Florida, with his wife and two sons.

Port Everglades cruise operation sails into a solid first quarter

Port Everglades' cruise business line is on course for a buoyant fiscal year based on double-digit growth during the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2025 (Oct. 1 to Dec. 31, 2024).

Multi-day cruise ship calls increased by 25%, with 235 calls compared to 188 calls in the same period of the previous year. The wave of growth is also seen in the port's cruise passenger traffic, which is up by 27% to 1,349,313 guests versus 1,064,998 compared to the same period in FY24. The uptick in ship calls and guests resulted in part from Disney Cruise Line establishing homeport operations at Port Everglades, joining industry leaders Celebrity Cruises, Crystal, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, Royal Caribbean International, Silversea Cruises and Viking Cruises.

"While we continue to navigate the year ahead, this strong first quarter is a promising indication of smooth sailing for our customers and the broader economy," said Port Everglades CEO and Port Director Joseph Morris. "These numbers not only highlight our steady course of growth but also position us to achieve new heights this fiscal year."

The port anticipates setting a new cruise passenger record in FY25 with a forecasted 4.4 million guests.