A+ A A-

P&O Cruises to offer 39 winter cruises from Southampton in 2012-13 season

  • Written by Kari Reinikainen
  • Category: More News

P&O Cruises will operate 39 cruises from the UK port of Southampton in the winter of 2012-13, the company said in a statement, referring to previously announced decision to add the 69,153 gross ton Oriana to the winter cruises programme next year after launching it with the 77,441 gross ton Oceana this coming winter.

“P&O Cruises already offers the greatest choice of ex-UK cruises and next winter will have 39 roundtrip cruises from Southampton from October to April. A growing number of people are keen to holiday in the winter, but don’t necessarily want to fly, so this additional range of cruises from Southampton will increase their options sill further. Convenience is a key booking factor for our passengers, with travelling to Southampton so easy – and then their holiday starts right away,” Managing Director Carol Marlow said in the statement-

Oceana’s second year of winter cruising from Southampton includes, for the first time, two short cruises for Christmas and New Year. These cruises offer the chance to spend Boxing Day in Copenhagen or New Year’s Eve in Amsterdam, for some authentic festive celebrations whilst only being away for four or seven days.

Oriana will offer seven ex-UK cruises including a 10 night Baltic cruise in December calling in popular Christmas market destinations such as Copenhagen and Hamburg; and a 12 night Canary Islands cruise in late January to ports including Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Casablanca.

Last week, Royal Caribbean International said it would discontinue its winter cruises frrom Southampton in 2012-13 and send the 154,807 gross ton Independence of the Seas to Florida instea from November 2012 to March 2013.

In May, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines said it would position the 24,907 gross ton Braemar in Southampton from the winter of 2012-13 and discontine fly cruises based in Barbados. The company will then have two ships based year-round in the UK.

Other companies that offer winter cruises from British ports in the 2012-13 season include Cunard Line, Cruise & Maritime Voyages, Spirit of Adventure and Voyages of Discovery.

Qantas flights to resume

  • Written by Teijo Niemelä
  • Category: More News

Qantas flights will resume by mid-afternoon on Monday 31 October 2011 subject to approval from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Fair Work Australia this morning granted the Australian Government's application to terminate all industrial action by the Australian Licenced Engineers Union, the Transport Workers Union, the Australian and International Pilots Union and Qantas.

Under the orders issued by Fair Work Australia, there will now be up to 21 days of negotiations between the parties. No industrial action can take place during this period. If no agreement is reached during this period, binding arbitration will take place under the control of Fair Work Australia.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said the decision would provide certainty for Qantas passengers and all of our employees.

"This is a good outcome that will enable us to begin operating flights this afternoon on a limited schedule with the approval of the regulator, CASA," Mr Joyce said.

"Operations will resume progressively from this afternoon. Our focus is bringing our schedule back to normal as soon as possible. Safety will remain our first priority at all times."

"The industrial process has now passed into the hands of the independent umpire. All parties will be treated equally and we will respect the decisions that are made."

"We have new and existing agreements with 12 unions. We now anticipate the conclusion of agreements with the remaining three."

"This has been a challenging period for Qantas, its employees, its customers and its shareholders."

"We sincerely regret the impact on customers of industrial action over recent months, and the effect on employees."

"We look forward to a rapid recovery and to a period of stability enabling us to focus on our customers and our strategy for the airline."

Princess to feature largest Australia and New Zealand program of any North American brand in 2012-2013

  • Written by Teijo Niemelä
  • Category: More News

Featuring the largest Australia deployment of any North American line in the region, Princess Cruises' 2012-13 season of "Down Under" cruising offers intriguing new routes, a special solar eclipse cruise, a new cruisetour to the Outback, and more sailings to New Zealand than any other line.

In total, four ships -- Diamond Princess, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess -- will sail on 40 voyages of eight different itineraries in the region. Among them are a longer 14-day Australia & New Zealand itinerary that adds two ports, Wellington and Picton, compared to previous seasons; as well as an extensive 33-day Round Australia & New Zealand route, featuring the best of the lands of kangaroos and kiwis.

Additionally, a special sailing will offer the unique opportunity to view the November 14 solar eclipse in its area of totality around northern Australia. This 11-day Queensland cruise aboard Dawn Princess includes a day at sea especially for the opportunity to view the solar eclipse.

Passengers who want to see more of Australia can opt for one of four complete land and sea cruisetours, that seamlessly combine a land itinerary with an Australia/New Zealand cruise. A new seven-night tour option debuts this season, featuring a train ride into the Outback from Adelaide aboard the historic Ghan Railway.

The Princess program includes three ships based locally for Aussie-style cruising. Featuring dining and entertainment options geared to Australian tastes, plus using Australian dollars as the onboard currency, these sailings offer a true local experience to passengers from all over.

"Australia and New Zealand are home to some of the world's great cruise destinations," said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises executive vice president. "Whether someone wants to explore the Great Barrier Reef, sail to scenic spots in New Zealand such as the dramatic Fiordland National Park, or even circumnavigate the entire Australian continent, we offer unforgettable vacation experiences."

Torres de Navarra appointed Vice President, Commercial Port Operations for Carnival Cruise Lines

  • Written by Teijo Niemelä
  • Category: More News

Carnival Cruise Lines has announced the appointment of Carlos Torres de Navarra to the newly-created position of vice president, commercial port operations. In this capacity, he will oversee homeport and port-of-call operations for the cruise line's 23-ship fleet, as well as port-related strategic planning, agreements and relationships.

The new position and a subsequent reorganization of the port operations and nautical operations functions currently overseen by Captain Domenico Tringale, vice president of port operations, have resulted following the announced retirement plans of Captain Tringale. Also retiring is Gordon Buck, vice president of Caribbean relations. Tringale will retire in spring 2012 following a maritime career spanning more than 50 years, including 11 years with Carnival Cruise Lines. Buck will retire in early 2012 following a 33-year career with Carnival Cruise Lines. Tringale and Buck will continue to provide support within their respective areas during the transition period.

Torres de Navarra will assume responsibility for commercial port operations effective November 7 and will report to Gus Antorcha, senior vice president of guest commerce. Leadership for the nautical operations area, including oversight of navigational aspects related to port and itinerary planning, and irregular operations, will report to Martin Landtman, senior vice president of marine operations, and will be announced in the near feature.

Torres de Navarra was most recently senior director of port destination and development for Carnival Corporation & plc, the parent company of Carnival Cruise Lines. Prior to that, he spent seven years with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., most recently as assistant treasurer. Torres de Navarra also served as manager of international finance for W.R. Grace & Company. He holds bachelor's and master's degrees in business administration from the University of Miami.

"Carlos has an outstanding and diverse professional background that makes him extremely well-suited to lead our new commercial port operations function," said Ruben Rodriguez, executive vice president of ship operations for Carnival Cruise Lines. "We are well familiar with his exceptional work at Carnival Corporation & plc, leading very large and complex port destination development projects, and we look forward to benefitting from his exceptional leadership skills in his new role at Carnival Cruise Lines."

Rodriguez added, "We are extremely grateful to Domenico Tringale and Gordon Buck for their many years of service and outstanding contributions to Carnival Cruise Lines. We wish them both the very best in their retirement."

Fred. Olsen Cruise Line’s Lingard to retirement in style

  • Written by Kari Reinikainen
  • Category: More News

Nigel Lingard, Marketing Director of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, the UK based operator of four medium sized ships, will go to retirement in style: a reception will be held on 22 November at the Reform Club in London.

The Reform Club , located on Pall Mall in central London, opened its doors in 1836. The current clubhouse, in the style of an Italianate palazzo, was finished five years later and it was designed by Charles Barry, whose other works include Houses of Parliament in Westminster in London.

Lingard, meanwhile,  served Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines for 23 years and in that time he became one of the best known personalities in the UK cruise industry..