- STX Finland strengthens board with two non-executive directors
- Three directors appointed to commercial teams of Cunard Line and P&O Cruises
- MedCruise General Assembly: Discussing and advancing best practices in Med ports
- Queen Victoria's dining options refreshed with new Verandah
- Silversea opens reservations for its 2015 World Cruise
- Carnival UK's Dingle airs thoughts of online's future role
- Carnival Corporation appoints Senior VP of Corporate Communications
- Gianni Onorato leaves Costa Crociere
- Mariner of the Seas celebrates maiden Hong Kong call – more Voyager-class programs announced for 2013 and 2014
- Star Cruises to homeport Aquarius in Kota Kinabalu from November 2013
- Creditors agree to $271 million emergency cash injection to STX Shipbuilding & Offshore
- Perception of top cruise brands continues US decline post Carnival Triumph - poll
Ports & Destinations
- Honduras President Lobo dedicates Banana Coast Port
- Martinique to welcome Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas
- Australian government grants AUD13 million to Norfolk Island cruise infrastructure
- Cruise Copenhagen Network focuses on new strategy to increase cruise guests to one million by 2015
- Six percent increase in cruise passenger throughput at Valencia in January-May
Products & services
- MEIKO appoints new head of export sales and marketing
- Wärtsilä launches a new more powerful version of its Wärtsilä 34DF engine
- Viking Cruises selects MAN engines to power its new ocean-going cruise ships
- Herkules Private Equity buys Umoe Schat-Harding and Noreq
- Viking Line to recycle vegetation brushed off from bottoms of ships
- Category: Products & services
- Published on Friday, 22 June 2012 21:11
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
Eaton, a global technology leader in electrical components and systems for power quality, distribution and control, as well as hydraulics components, systems and services for industrial and mobile equipment, will be showing its full range of offerings for the marine and offshore industry at SMM 2012 in Hamburg on 4th – 7th September. On its 95sq metre stand in Hall B6, Stand 308, Eaton will demonstrate its expertise in providing reliable, high-performance energy distribution and UPS systems as well as automation and hydraulic solutions that enable safe and comfortable voyages.
No matter what size the vessel, power distribution and control are essential to reliable operation. With a steady trend towards increasing operational efficiencies, the demand for power on-board continues to grow and so do the requirements for reliability, sustainability and safety. Eaton offers equipment for switching, distribution, protection, metering and control of electrical energy that meet these demands.
The medium voltage portfolio includes primary and secondary switchgear and ring main units which are free from SF6 (sulphur hexafluoride) gas, and thus, environmentally friendly vacuum switches combined with solid insulation material. Also highlighted on the stand will be Eaton’s range of low voltage systems designed for optimised energy management as well as for safety and flexibility. For example, the low voltage distribution and motor control centre Capitole 40 handling up to 6300A / 690V has a completely arc-free design by creation of a fault-free zone, and thanks to its plug-in and withdrawable units, accommodates quick on-site changes. Other low voltage systems integrate the arc-fault protection system ARCON, which not only detects an arc fault, but a special quenching unit also extinguishes it in less than 2ms. Circuit-breakers like the NZM and IZM offer the shipbuilding sector features like tool-less technology and interference-free operation.
With innovative technologies and more complex electronics moving on board ships, there is also a need for disturbance-free power systems that supply both uninterruptible and clean power. Thanks to over 50 years of experience in the design, production and delivery of advanced marine UPS to cruise liners, ferries, ice breakers, LNG carriers, cable ships, dredgers and oil rigs, Eaton is a global leader in power quality for marine applications. The portfolio comprises UPS’s to protect safety and cruising related systems, commercial applications on cruise liners and special systems on board vessels as well as UPS’s that guarantee the smooth operation of on-board business management systems. In addition to its marine certified small (0-3 kVA), medium (8-160 kVA) and large systems (225-1,100 kVA), Eaton offers complementary power management solutions comprising of software and connectivity products.
Visitors to SMM 2012 in Hamburg can find out more about these and other products and solutions, as well as Eaton’s global service network comprising more than 1,200 professionals and selected authorised service partners worldwide. Experts from Eaton will also be available on the stand to discuss visitors’ specific application needs.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
- Autronica delivers extensive safety system to Allure of the Seas