- Royal Caribbean rumoured to talk of orders with Meyer Turku
- Princess Cruises to have five ships in Australia in 2016-17
- Disney to start river cruises on Danube
- Ovation of the Seas to homeport in Sydney winter 2016-17
- Meyer acquires remaining 30% of Turku shipyard shares
- Royal Caribbean takes delivery of Anthem of the Seas
- Princess Cruises unveils 2016 Japan cruise program
- Category: More News
- Published on Wednesday, 02 November 2011 10:08
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
Work commenced in Genoa at the T. Mariotti shipyard on the radical refurbishment of the Costa Cruises fleet member Costa Romantica, which is currently 53,000 gross tonnage and can carry up to 1,697 Total Guests. In August this year, Costa Cruises , with a total investment by the Italian company of around 90 million euro, for major restyling operations on the ship with the San Giorgio shipyard in the Port of Genoa; the yard, specialists in ship repair and conversion, will be carrying out the work with the assistance of their affiliate T. Mariotti. The work on the Costa Romantica – involving the works in dry dock, quay and fitting out in by the ship-owner – is due for completion in mid-February 2012. Thanks to the restyling, the Costa Romantica will be completely renovated, just like her name, which will become the Costa neoRomantica. This extensive make-over will include the construction of new areas and the introduction of services that represent a major evolution in the Costa product. The objective is to offer a renewed cruise experience: the perfect way to satisfy the needs of a special clientele target.
The restyling works include 2 new half-decks extensions, 111 new cabins, plus 120 cabins and suites with private balcony. The ship’s total Guest capacity will increase from 1,697 to 1,800, the number of cabins from 678 to 789, and her new gross tonnage will be around 56,000. According to analysis by S. Giorgio del Porto, some 40 million euros will be generated by induced activities linked to the work in the shipyard only in the Province of Genoa. Around forty Genoese companies will be contributing to the undertaking, thus confirming both the importance of shipbuilding and repair for the local economy, and the degree of technical know-how and expertise available locally.
In employment terms, the refurbishment of the Costa Romantica will involve approximately a thousand people – naval architects, marine engineers, project managers, shipboard managers and skilled workers.
Costa neoRomantica - interior design
The architectural project of the Costa neoRomantica’s interiors is the work of the Swedish company Tillberg Design, which has a 40-year history in marine interior design including assignments for around 130 luxury yachts and prestigious cruise ships, and London master planners Syntax, who specialize in the interior design and architecture of hotels and prestigious spa resorts. The Costa neoRomantica will stand out on account of her sophisticated ambience and particularly elegant and refined interior design.
Among the new areas on the ship, Costa neoRomantica Guests will find a “wine and cheese bar”, with 100 different labels and a wide selection of cheeses from around the world; a “coffee & chocolate” bar to enjoy selected sweets and coffee; a new Italian “pizzeria”; a cabaret lounge and a night-club. Another addition is the Samsara Spa, a 4200 m2 wellness area with a gym, thalassotherapy pool, treatment rooms, sauna, Turkish bath, 50 cabins and 6 suites as well as a dedicated spa restaurant.
Costa neoRomantica -Itineraries
The Costa neoRomantica will add a new dimension to cruising and offer Guests brand new destinations and itineraries – some close to home, some more exotic – starting February 20, 2012.
The renewed ship will make her debut on February 20, 2012 when she sets sail from Savona on an 11-day cruise to Spain, Morocco, the Canary Islands and Madeira. This itinerary is scheduled to continue until March 24. In spring, from April 4 through May 2, and then again in late summer on September 5, the Costa neoRomantica will offer 15-day cruises to the magical Atlantic capitals. In summer the Costa neoRomantica will be operating in Northern Europe offering 15-day cruises that for the first time will bring together the best destinations of the Fjords and Baltic Capitals and 2 cruises to Spietzbergen Islands.
The stylish ambience of the Costa neoRomantica will also be the setting for the Grand Cruise from Italy to Australia and New Zealand, via the finest and most fascinating places in the eastern hemisphere. This 107-night extraordinary cruise, departing on 19th September 2012, another of the highly popular new round-the-world voyages offered by Costa on the routes of the great navigators of the past, is intended for “hard-core” cruise fans.
Alternative flash content
Ports & Destinations
- Royal Caribbean promotes Chinese city of Guangzhou
- Anthem of the Seas departed Columbus Cruise Center after final outfitting
- Gothenburg cruise season under way
- $55 million to enhance cruise ship greeting operations at Québec and Montréal
- Carnival Liberty is first ship to berth at Tortola's newly renovated pier
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
Products & services
- AIDA Cruises installs EMMA onboard its fleet
- Two cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- TTS to supply shell doors and platforms for Star Cruises newbuilds
- MCP CEO: Coming 4G networks can revolutionize cruise ship passenger experience
- ABB's marine solutions to boost efficiency, reliability and flexibility of Tallink's first LNG-powered ferry
Air & Sea
- Finnair opens sales for flights with all-new Airbus A350 aircraft
- Emirates Airline to offer daily service between Dubai and Orlando
- Lufthansa sets new standards in cabin design and service
- Air Canada to launch nonstop service from Toronto to Dubai
- United Airlines adds Transatlantic routes for summer 2015