- Holland America Line makes three director appointments in fleet operations department
- Windstar Cruises introduces new yacht and voyage collection
- Mein Schiff 3 to improve energy efficiency by about 30%
- Regent Seven Seas makes itinerary changes for fall 2014
- Mein Schiff 1 godmother to celebrate fourth anniversary of ship with gala concert
- Richard J. O'Hanlon appointed Vice President, Nautical and Safety Operations for Carnival Cruise Lines
- Viking launches its ocean project, company rebrands
- Royal Caribbean's Vice Chairman and CFO Rice to retire
- TUI AG to restructure Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten unit after its deep interim losses
- RCCL to revitalise Voyager of the Seas before 2014-15 Australasia deployment
- High airfares force Carnival Cruise Lines out of Europe 2014
- Australian source market grew 11% to 694,000 passengers in 2012
Ports & Destinations
- Athens prepares to host Posidonia Sea Tourism Conference
- Norwegian Breakaway makes maiden call to Bermuda
- Study demonstrates that BC cruise ports continue to be an economic hub in Canada
- Ports America awarded operating contract for Port of Los Angeles Cruise Terminal
- Cruise tourism's contribution to Dubai's tourism growth due to grow in 2014
Products & services
- Wallem opens offices in South Africa
- Trimline and Carnival UK agree an on board interior maintenance service for five ships
- Wärtsilä Aquarius ballast water system received final approval
- Wallem opens first hub of expertise in Singapore as it looks to establish strategic maritime locations around the world
- AIDA calls at Lloyd Werft for the first time
- Category: Latest News
- Published on Saturday, 05 May 2012 15:50
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
The 41st President of the United States, George H.W. Bush, and former First Lady Barbara Bush, joined by their daughter, Dorothy, and granddaughter, Georgia, sailed their first Transatlantic Crossing aboard Cunard Line's flagship Queen Mary 2 this week. The seven-day voyage originated in Southampton, England, on 27 April and arrived into New York yesterday morning.
Upon embarking in Southampton, they received a White Star welcome in the ship's Commodore Club by Peter Shanks, president of Cunard Line; David Dingle, CEO, Carnival UK; Captain Kevin Oprey, master of Queen Mary 2; and John Duffy, the ship's hotel manager. During the greeting, President Bush was heard to say of their Queen Mary 2 voyage, "I've been looking forward to this for weeks!" Barbara Bush agreed, "You've been talking about nothing else for months!"
"We are honored to have welcomed President Bush and his family as guests aboard Queen Mary 2," said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard Line. "Throughout our history, countless dignitaries have enjoyed the height of leisure and luxury offered aboard Cunard's Transatlantic Crossings, and we are pleased that the President now joins in that legacy."
During the voyage, the President and First Lady enjoyed production shows in the Royal Court Theatre, experienced the world-class Canyon Ranch SpaClub(r) and attended one of Cunard's new Apple iStudy enrichment classes. By night, they could be seen dining with the captain, as well as in the Queens Grill Restaurant, La Piazza and Queen Mary 2's specialty restaurant, Todd English.
"Barbara and I have always wanted to make a Crossing, and it gives us great joy to be able to do so aboard Queen Mary 2 with our family and close friends. We have enjoyed the voyage from its beginning, and our experience has been made even better by the amazing crew and staff. We will always have fond memories of our Transatlantic Crossing," said President Bush.
Cunard's legendary Transatlantic Crossings reflect the pinnacle of adventure and civility in ocean travel. Queen Mary 2 is the only liner offering regularly scheduled Transatlantic service, ranging from seven-day voyages between New York and Southampton, England, to eight- and nine-day Crossings offered to Hamburg, Germany. Travel aboard Queen Mary 2 offers the ultimate luxury cruise vacation, rich in classic British traditions, fine cuisine and stimulating on board enrichment. This year's season includes several new offerings, such as new theatrical productions, jazz music workshops, lecture programmes, dining menus and spa treatments.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
- Autronica delivers extensive safety system to Allure of the Seas