- MedCruise General Assembly: Discussing and advancing best practices in Med ports
- Queen Victoria's dining options refreshed with new Verandah
- Silversea opens reservations for its 2015 World Cruise
- Royal Caribbean International names new Senior VP of Marketing
- Swan Hellenic says summer's ex UK programe now sold out
- Carnival UK's Dingle airs thoughts of online's future role
- Carnival Corporation appoints Senior VP of Corporate Communications
- Gianni Onorato leaves Costa Crociere
- Mariner of the Seas celebrates maiden Hong Kong call – more Voyager-class programs announced for 2013 and 2014
- Star Cruises to homeport Aquarius in Kota Kinabalu from November 2013
- Creditors agree to $271 million emergency cash injection to STX Shipbuilding & Offshore
- Perception of top cruise brands continues US decline post Carnival Triumph - poll
Ports & Destinations
- Honduras President Lobo dedicates Banana Coast Port
- Martinique to welcome Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas
- Australian government grants AUD13 million to Norfolk Island cruise infrastructure
- Cruise Copenhagen Network focuses on new strategy to increase cruise guests to one million by 2015
- Six percent increase in cruise passenger throughput at Valencia in January-May
Products & services
- MEIKO appoints new head of export sales and marketing
- Wärtsilä launches a new more powerful version of its Wärtsilä 34DF engine
- Viking Cruises selects MAN engines to power its new ocean-going cruise ships
- Herkules Private Equity buys Umoe Schat-Harding and Noreq
- Viking Line to recycle vegetation brushed off from bottoms of ships
- Category: Latest News
- Published on Friday, 27 August 2010 22:58
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
On Friday at Fincantieri's Monfalcone shipyard, there was the launch of Carnival Magic, the new flagship of Carnival Cruise Lines, a brand in Carnival Corporation & PLC, the world's leading cruise operator. Delivery is due in spring 2011.
The launch was marked by the customary "coin ceremony" a tradition to bring a ship good luck in which a silver dollar is place on the ship’s last deck. Godmother to the ship was Laura Buttignon who has worked for the shipyard for thirty five years.
Registering in at 130,000 gross tonnes, for a length of 306 metres with a beam of 37 the Carnival Magic is the sister ship of Carnival Dream which Monfalcone shipyard delivered a year ago. This means that in building the Carnival Magic Fincantieri will once again build the largest passenger ship in the history of Italian shipbuilding. Compared to her sister the Carnival Dream will have a larger number of cabins – 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew for a total maximum capacity of almost 6,000.
Over the next few months the Carnival Magic will be fitted out to the highest standards of comfort and prepared so as to offer her passengers a wide range of entertainment such as bars, restaurants, theatres, shops and wellness centres.
Since 1990 Fincantieri has built 55 cruise ships and a further 10 ships are under construction or scheduled to be built at Fincantieri shipyards.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
- Autronica delivers extensive safety system to Allure of the Seas