- Telegraph Cruise Show in London 12 to 14 January
- Costa launches Costa Adventures to cater for children
- Thomson Cruises to add 76 balconies on three of its five ships
- UK agents "blatantly undercutting one another," Viking River Cruises reported saying
- Costa Luminosa begins sailing 10-night Caribbean cruises from Miami
- TUI Travel's online sales grow four times faster than overall sales
- TUI Travel upbeat after strong 2013 financial year
- ABB wins $180 million in orders from cruise ship builders in 2013
- Carnival Corporation names Vice Admiral William Burke as its first-ever Chief Maritime Officer
- Thomson Cruises launches app to showcase ships as 18% of customers book with tablet or smart phone
- Norwegian prices 22 million share secondary offer at $33.25 per share
- Norwegian’s principal shareholders in 22 million share secondary offering
Ports & Destinations
- Bacardi Bar opens on Norwegian's private island
- Three British cruise ships to visit Gothenburg's Christmas markets
- Atlantic Alliance ports exceed forecast and welcome 2.5 million passengers 2013
- Le Havre provides Christmas atmosphere
- BVI Ports Authority welcomes AIDAbella's first call to the territory
Alternative flash content
Products & services
- Wärtsilä to supply propulsion package to German short haul ferry
- Lloyd's Register unveils refreshed brand identity
- Trimline wins contract to upgrade, extend facilities on British ferry
- MEIKO receives Mercury Award for M-iQ technology
- Saint-Gobain delivers glass and insulation materials to cruise ships
- Category: Latest News
- Published on Friday, 27 August 2010 22:58
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
On Friday at Fincantieri's Monfalcone shipyard, there was the launch of Carnival Magic, the new flagship of Carnival Cruise Lines, a brand in Carnival Corporation & PLC, the world's leading cruise operator. Delivery is due in spring 2011.
The launch was marked by the customary "coin ceremony" a tradition to bring a ship good luck in which a silver dollar is place on the ship’s last deck. Godmother to the ship was Laura Buttignon who has worked for the shipyard for thirty five years.
Registering in at 130,000 gross tonnes, for a length of 306 metres with a beam of 37 the Carnival Magic is the sister ship of Carnival Dream which Monfalcone shipyard delivered a year ago. This means that in building the Carnival Magic Fincantieri will once again build the largest passenger ship in the history of Italian shipbuilding. Compared to her sister the Carnival Dream will have a larger number of cabins – 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew for a total maximum capacity of almost 6,000.
Over the next few months the Carnival Magic will be fitted out to the highest standards of comfort and prepared so as to offer her passengers a wide range of entertainment such as bars, restaurants, theatres, shops and wellness centres.
Since 1990 Fincantieri has built 55 cruise ships and a further 10 ships are under construction or scheduled to be built at Fincantieri shipyards.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas