- Viking Line suffers sharp weakening of second quarter and first half interims
- Lloyd Werft appoints Petersjohann to head engineering and offshore
- Rolls-Royce completes Power Systems acquisition
- Carnival Cruise Lines honors top travel agencies with 'Excellence Awards'
- Oceania Cruises announces new Culinary Discovery Tours for Caribbean sailings
- Quantum class ships to float on bed of air bubbles, waste glass etc. frozen to prevent bacteria growth
- Quantum class Two70 windows to become video screens, Bionic bar robots mix drinks
- Quantum to offer six times faster Internet than other cruise ships, allows streaming video, use of Facetime, Skype
- Quantum of the Seas to introduce robotic entertainment, eliminates check in counter in host of high tech firsts at sea
- Cruise Business Commentary - Persistent perception problem highlights inadequacy of supply driven business model
- UK cruise sector “under pressure to fill capacity” unless conceptions change - report
- Tallink issues profit warning after sharp deterioration in second quarter and first half results
- Category: More News
- Published on Friday, 27 August 2010 22:58
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
On Friday at Fincantieri's Monfalcone shipyard, there was the launch of Carnival Magic, the new flagship of Carnival Cruise Lines, a brand in Carnival Corporation & PLC, the world's leading cruise operator. Delivery is due in spring 2011.
The launch was marked by the customary "coin ceremony" a tradition to bring a ship good luck in which a silver dollar is place on the ship’s last deck. Godmother to the ship was Laura Buttignon who has worked for the shipyard for thirty five years.
Registering in at 130,000 gross tonnes, for a length of 306 metres with a beam of 37 the Carnival Magic is the sister ship of Carnival Dream which Monfalcone shipyard delivered a year ago. This means that in building the Carnival Magic Fincantieri will once again build the largest passenger ship in the history of Italian shipbuilding. Compared to her sister the Carnival Dream will have a larger number of cabins – 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew for a total maximum capacity of almost 6,000.
Over the next few months the Carnival Magic will be fitted out to the highest standards of comfort and prepared so as to offer her passengers a wide range of entertainment such as bars, restaurants, theatres, shops and wellness centres.
Since 1990 Fincantieri has built 55 cruise ships and a further 10 ships are under construction or scheduled to be built at Fincantieri shipyards.
Ports & Destinations
- High New Zealand costs challenging cruise lines
- Cunard's Queen Victoria makes maiden call at St Raphael on the Cote d'Azur
- Trasmediterranea to provide port handling services in Balearic Islands
- Mein Schiff 3 will inaugurate the lengthened pier in La Gomera
- Construction of Hamburg's third cruise terminal commences
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
Products & services
Air & Sea
- Finnair reveals cabin design for next-generation Airbus A350 XWB aircraft
- Etihad's Alitalia deal to strengthen Rome and Milan hubs
- Delta announces new service from Amsterdam to Salt Lake City
- Etihad to add six new destinations during the first half of 2015
- Enhanced security measures at certain airports for U.S. bound flights