- Welsh actor Rob Brydon to front new advertising campaign for P&O Cruises
- Astor to reposition to Fremantle via Panama
- Costa neoClassica enters service following $28.1 million restyling
- Norwegian unveils details of Norwegian Escape activities and entertainment offerings
- Aurora re-enters service with new livery after £32 million refit
- CBR Odo Commentary – Opening of Cuba to US cruising could have far reaching implications
- US, Cuba restore diplomatic ties, travel restrictions eased, cruise shipping shares gain
- Christine Duffy named President of Carnival Cruise Lines
- RCCL enters partnership deal with Ctrip’s rival
- Updated: Engine room fire on Insignia brought under control - report
- Tallink and Meyer Turku signs letter of intent for new generation LNG powered fast ferry
- TUI AG's cruise recovery exceeds forecast, Hapag-Lloyd to break even in current year
- Category: More News
- Published on Friday, 04 November 2011 12:45
- Written by Kari Reinikainen
Guests joining Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ 35-night Caribbean voyage aboard Boudicca in January 2012 – the cruise number D1202 – will find themselves in the prestigious company of three major sporting celebrities from two of Britain’s favourite sports, darts and football. The stars are ex-footballer and former Manager of both Spurs and Arsenal, Terry Neill, along with former darts champions, Keith Deller and Cliff Lazarenko, who will be entertaining guests throughout this cruise, as part of the exclusive onboard enrichment programme, Vistas (www.fredolsencruises-vistas.com), the company said in a statement.
From ‘the beautiful game’ comes William John Terence (‘Terry’) Neill. Born in Belfast in 1942, Terry was involved in football from his earliest days, playing as a junior for Bangor before moving to Arsenal in 1959. In the early 1960s, he made 29 league appearances for ‘The Gunners’, and was also a regular player for the Northern Ireland team. He became Arsenal Captain in 1968 and played 275 games for them. He moved to Hull City in 1970, as one of the youngest ever Player/Managers, and was later Manager of Tottenham Hotspur, returning to his beloved Arsenal as its Manager until his retirement from the club at the early age of 41, in 1983. Since then, he has run a number of successful sports bars in London, and still commentates on Arsenal games for Arsenal TV.
Keith ‘Del Boy’ Deller was born in 1959 in Ipswich – coincidentally, also home to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ head office. He caused a huge stir in the darts world, when he won the ‘Embassy World Professional Darts Championship’ in 1983, the youngest player ever to do so, and defeated the three top names in darts in the process – Eric Bristow, Jocky Wilson and John Lowe. After enjoying a highly successful professional career, Keith now works for Sky Sports, along with his old rival Eric Bristow, as a ‘spotter’, using his expertise to work out where the next dart will be thrown.
Big’ Cliff Lazarenko – so-called because he stands an impressive 6’ 4” and once weighed in at over 20 stone – was born in 1952, and entered professional darts in 1975. He won the ‘British Open’ in 1980, and reached the semi-finals of the ‘World Championship’ four times. Throughout an impressive career, his other triumphs included winning the ‘Autumn Gold Masters’, ‘British Matchplay’, ‘British Gold Cup’, ‘Jersey Open’ and ‘Danish Open’. Cliff retired in the early 2000s, due to poor health, but returned to professional darts in 2007, playing in the ‘UK Open’ at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton. In 2008, he also appeared in the BetFred League of Legends, where he reached the semi-finals, but was beaten by fellow darts champion, Keith Deller.
"With these three charismatic characters on board to entertain guests with their sporting anecdotes, the days at sea are sure to pass swiftly as Boudicca cruises away from the chilly British winter en route to the Caribbean sun. She departs from Southampton on 19th January 2012, for this leisurely 35-night cruise. The Atlantic crossing is broken by a call into the Canary Island of Tenerife, before Boudicca begins her odyssey of the Caribbean islands. Her ports of call are a roll call of idyllic destinations – the islands of Barbados and Curaçao, then Cartagena in Colombia, and Colon in Panama, before reaching Montego Bay on the colourful reggae island of Jamaica. The next port is a highlight of the cruise – an overnight stay in Havana, Cuba, a port steeped in history and romance. Two more Caribbean islands complete this part of the itinerary – Turks & Caicos, and the tiny island of St. Maarten – before Boudicca begins her return voyage to Southampton, broken by a last call into Ponta Delgada in the Azores," the company said.
"This cruise has a host of added attractions, in additional to its superb itinerary. As well as the theme of ‘Sporting Personalities’, hosted by Terry, Keith and Cliff, there are two further themes of a very different nature – ‘Pottery’ and ‘Handicrafts’," Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines noted.
Alternative flash content
Ports & Destinations
- Bookings open for Britain's first cookery school at sea on Britannia
- Holland America Line's new 'ReadySetSail' promotion features upgrades and savings on select 2015 summer cruises
- Norwegian Cruise Line is offering 12 days of daily deals on new cruise bookings
- Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines in promotion that encourages multiple purchases
- Norwegian offers special Black Friday savings
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
Products & services
- Wärtsilä wins contracts for sea water desalination systems for seven cruise ships
- Wärtsilä to acquire L-3 Marine Systems in €285 million deal
- Damen Shiprepair Vlissingen carries out extensive cruise ship maintenance
- Scanship sells fourth clean ship system for Viking newbulding
- Pocadel launches super wide B15 glass sliding / tandem door for marine use