- MedCruise General Assembly: Discussing and advancing best practices in Med ports
- Queen Victoria's dining options refreshed with new Verandah
- Silversea opens reservations for its 2015 World Cruise
- Royal Caribbean International names new Senior VP of Marketing
- Swan Hellenic says summer's ex UK programe now sold out
Ports & Destinations
- Honduras President Lobo dedicates Banana Coast Port
- Martinique to welcome Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas
- Australian government grants AUD13 million to Norfolk Island cruise infrastructure
- Cruise Copenhagen Network focuses on new strategy to increase cruise guests to one million by 2015
- Six percent increase in cruise passenger throughput at Valencia in January-May
Products & services
- MEIKO appoints new head of export sales and marketing
- Wärtsilä launches a new more powerful version of its Wärtsilä 34DF engine
- Viking Cruises selects MAN engines to power its new ocean-going cruise ships
- Herkules Private Equity buys Umoe Schat-Harding and Noreq
- Viking Line to recycle vegetation brushed off from bottoms of ships
- Category: Products & services
- Published on Saturday, 05 May 2012 16:45
- Written by Teijo Niemelä
Harris CapRock Communications, a global provider of fully managed communications for remote and harsh environments, has signed a five-year agreement with cruise operator Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. to provide communications services onboard its fleet of 34 ships in the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises brands. The hybrid satellite and terrestrial communications solution will enable Royal Caribbean to dramatically improve overall communications performance while enhancing guest experience and crew morale.
"At Royal Caribbean, our goal is for guests to have the best experience possible while vacationing on our ships," said Bill Martin, vice president and chief information officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "An important part of that experience is the communications service made available to them and making sure it performs above their expectations. We set a goal to change the market expectations for onboard communications, and with Harris CapRock’s innovative solution, our guests will be able to remain connected with friends and family onshore in ways not possible on any other cruise ship."
To meet Royal Caribbean’s needs for vessel administration, guest satisfaction and crew welfare, Harris CapRock will deploy a fully managed, end-to-end Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) and terrestrial communications solution that will enable access to Royal Caribbean’s corporate network and business applications, broadband Internet, and telephony services. Royal Caribbean will receive equipment, installation, maintenance, service and 24/7 proactive monitoring and support from Harris CapRock’s global Customer Support Center.
The hybrid solution combines Ku-band, C-band and shore wireless connectivity, designed so that the ships can switch seamlessly from one preferred platform to another to maximize service availability and avoid downtime. Each ship will be equipped with two or three of Harris CapRock’s stabilized VSAT antenna systems to provide the optimal level of flexibility and availability.
"Harris CapRock worked hand-in-hand with Royal Caribbean to develop a customized solution required to meet their needs," said Rick Simonian, president of Maritime Solutions, Harris CapRock. "Royal Caribbean is known for using information technology innovations to provide its guests and crew with the best onboard experience possible. By selecting Harris CapRock as its provider, they can rest assured that we are there to meet their communications needs of today and tomorrow."
Harris CapRock Communications is a premier global provider of managed satellite and terrestrial communications solutions, specifically for remote and harsh environments including the energy, government and maritime markets. Harris CapRock owns and operates a robust global infrastructure that includes teleports on six continents, five 24/7 customer support centers, local presence in 23 countries, and over 275 global field service personnel supporting customer locations across North America, Central and South America, Europe, West Africa and Asia Pacific.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
- Autronica delivers extensive safety system to Allure of the Seas